In Our Opinion: Student smokers need not worry about ban

USC will be kicking off the New Year on the right note, or so it thinks, by helping everyone make the right choice. Come Jan. 1, 2014, Tobacco Free USC will take effect and all tobacco products will be banned from campus.

The much-maligned ban has been in the works for quite some time now, as made evident by our near-weekly lambasting of it. But we have good news, the pitchforks can be lowered.

USC left the policy to be communally enforced. In other words, you won’t be getting dragged away by the ear by any campus police or school officials. At least, not necessarily, provided your residual anger over the ban is kept in check. Moreover, there will be no tickets issued or changed patrol habits to enforce the ban.
What a relief. This allocation of manpower leaves the enforcement — or complete lackthereof, as evidenced by the current policy — of the ban up to our peers. Should you disturb a fellow Gamecock, they may be inclined to ask you for your name and file a complaint via an online form. As long as smokers listen to their mothers and don’t talk to strangers, the only consequence will be identification of their favorite hang-out as a “hot spot” for smoking. Naturally, frenemies looking to give you a hard time can also covertly turn your name in, but Healthy Carolina is hoping college students will be a little more mature.

So, against all odds, your name’s been turned in. Now what?
First-time violators will have to report to a workshop for 30 minutes, offered by Carolina Wellness. Upon the second violation, you’ll be charged a $50 fine and have to write an essay regarding the future effects of their tobacco use. If you so happen to have particularly bad friends, or impressively obnoxious tobacco use habits, your third violation will necessitate a $75 fine, probation and required community service hours or a cessation program.
That’s not all. If you’re reported, counselors will also ask if you plan on quitting. Should you say no, you’ll be required to begin a cessation program and perhaps watch a documentary that you’ll have to write an essay about. Thankfully, this isn’t anything an innocent smile and nod can’t handle.

While all this fuss is a little troublesome, we’re happy USC found an thoroughly ineffective enforcement policy that students can completely ignore. Though they may be angry that the ban is on the books at all, students can rest easy knowing there’s no way they’ll actually face consequences for violating it. The school can tout its tobacco-free and progressive policy, and students just need to make sure they’re not with mixed company before lighting up.