Carolina Styles provides convenience, hospitality

Hidden on the third floor of Russell House lies a full service hair salon open to all USC students: Carolina Styles.

A lounge filled with TVs marks the entrance to the salon, right in front of the entrance to the Student Media wing of the building.

A basic men’s or women’s haircut will cost you $14, but for an additional cost, the stylists will provide the full measure of services of a professional hair salon.

Despite the salon’s convenient location, students don’t usually comprise the majority of the salon’s daily business, according to Wanda Davis, a veteran stylist at Carolina Styles.

“We usually only see about 10 to 15 students every day,” Davis said. “It’s mostly faculty, staff and alumni.”

Davis is a Carolina Styles employee of more than 20 years, and, like many of her fellow stylists at the salon, she’s a registered cosmetologist. She is also a master barber and a South Carolina board examiner for cosmetology, meaning she tests new barbers who are seeking certification.

Davis pegged her long-lasting connection to Carolina Styles on the close relationships she has developed with her clients over the years.

“I love it here, especially when you meet people,” she said. “We’re not just barbers most of the time but counselors, too.”

To that point, Davis encouraged students to come by anytime for a quality experience that goes beyond just an average haircut.

Davis also cited the salon’s professionalism and convenience as two of its major selling points to students. On top of that, she said, its competitive pricing makes it a great spot for students to come. Plus, students can use CarolinaCash to pay for their new look.

“Frankly we don’t charge what we should as professionals,” she said.

Good hospitality also serves as a large reason for the salon’s clientele. The salon’s three stylists are well known throughout the Carolina community for providing friendly conversation and helpful advice to those who need it.

“Every time I go they do a great job; they’re always really friendly,” said Tanner Mann, a first-year biology student and regular patron of Carolina Styles. “I’ve had Greg and A.D. as stylists and really enjoyed talking to both of them.”

Mann’s words are indicative of the friendly and relaxed culture that pervades Carolina Styles. The salon separates itself, not only through the quality of the haircuts its stylists provide, but also through the community atmosphere it provides.

“I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good haircut,” Mann said. “It’s a great place to have on campus. I really love it.”

Walk-ins are welcome during the salon’s operating hours, which are from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday.