Column: Airlines don't need to ban in-flight phone calls

Embracing FCC’s decision is smart for business

Recently, a debate has emerged over whether or not the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) should lift a ban on placing cell phone calls on flights. Following their vote last month to seek public comment on lifting the ban, many opponents were quick to criticize the plan. Among their arguments, opponents emphasize how potentially disruptive calls would be to other travelers, and how airplanes are one of the last holdouts of peace and quiet in public environments.

While there is certainly the potential for many travelers’ experiences to be ruined by people yapping away on their phone, airline passengers already have to deal with a variety of other nuisances, and the reality is that they generally don’t occur all that often. Crying babies and longtime friends consumed in laughter are just as, if not more, disruptive than a loud phone call, but because they don’t happen very often, most people aren’t bothered by it. Cell phone calls could work the same way. While there is bound to be the occasional angry breakup over the phone mid-flight, most callers would remain mindful of the other passengers and keep their voices to a minimum. That could even provide some much needed in-flight entertainment in case the movie selection isn’t very good.

In addition to these factors, it is also important to understand that the FCC’s proposal would not force airlines to allow all passengers to make calls, it merely gives them the option to do so if they choose. Anticipating a possible policy change, the CEO of Delta Airlines announced that regardless of the FCC’s decision, nothing would change for his company, and in-flight calls would still be banned. Other airlines, such as United and American Airlines, have yet to rule out the possibility, indicating that if the ban were to be lifted, there would be variation among airlines in regards to cell phone policy.

Variation among airlines is the best solution to the debate. It will bring about greater distinction between airlines to the benefit of both the traveler and the airline. In the ultra-competitive airline market, airlines will also have the option of claiming greater marketshare, or focus on a niche, depending on their decision. Travelers who cherish a quiet environment for sleeping, reading or looking out the window would simply make reservations for a flight whose carrier doesn’t allow calls. Others, such as busy business people or people who just want to keep in touch with their girlfriend could choose a flight that allows calls and talk away without worrying about bothering the other passengers.