CP shakes up spring semester schedule

Carolina Productions recruits speakers from hit TV shows

Carolina Productions has confirmed $78,650 in costs for the upcoming semester’s scheduled entertainment.

The highest paid performers, at a cost of $15,000 each, are comedian Jay Pharoah and actor Steve Rannazzisi.

Pharoah, an SNL star known for his impersonations of President Barack Obama and ESPN commentator Stephen A. Smith, is expected to be one of CP’s most successful events for the spring calendar, according to CP President Adam Mayer.

“Being an initial stop on Jay’s national tour, we are fortunate to have him coming to campus,” Mayer said in a written statement.

Rannazzisi, from FX’s hit TV show “The League,” was selected because of his rising popularity.

“Steve’s name speaks for himself,” Mayer said. “While his material is just as funny as his fellow co-stars, we are getting him for far less the cost.”

CP is planning to host packed events by connecting with hit, current TV shows: RJ Mitte from AMC’s award-winning drama “Breaking Bad” is being paid $8,500 to speak at USC later this semester about the show and his personal story of living with cerebral palsy.

Starting with the first event of the spring season, CP is focusing on bringing in new events and acts to the semester’s schedule. Veering away from the magic and hypnosis shows seen in recent semesters, CP is hosting mind reader Eric Dittelman for $3,000.

“With this being Carolina Production’s first event, this price is remarkable for a packed out ballroom,” Mayer said. “This amazing mind reader will be an event the audience cannot help to participate in. Eric is known from his awesome reviews on ‘America’s Got Talent.’”

Alysia Harris, known for her poetry about the human experience, will come to USC for a Spoken Word event for a price of $2,750; she will be the final headlining artist.

“With the success of our last Spoken Word event, bringing another artist with such a small price tag is a steal,” Mayer said.

CP will also partner with Sodexo for a cooking competition and Patio Party, a dinner on the Russell House patio for a meal swipe.

Every Tuesday night, CP plans to hold events to showcase student talent, including Acoustic Cafés, Comedy Open Mic Nights and Poetry Nights. The popular Throwback Thursday series will continue this semester with “Mean Girls,” “Pokémon,” “Finding Nemo” and “Jaws.”

Beginning this semester, the CP team will include the Daytime Events Committee, which will plan activities between classes and around mealtimes.

“We really want to focus on hitting [off-campus] students while they’re on campus during the day,” Mayer said.