USC picks up another Burns manuscript

The University of South Carolina Library has added a rare treasure to their G. Ross Roy Collection of Robert Burns and Scottish Literature.

USC Libraries acquired a manuscript of the poem “Afton Braes,” commonly known by its first line as “Flow Gently Sweet Afton,” written in Burns’ own hand.

The G. Ross Roy Collection of Robert Burns at USC has been recognized as the largest collection of Scottish literature outside of the United Kingdom.

The manuscript is the earliest known version of the poem and had never been on the market or known to scholars before because it was family-owned.

“It’s really a fantastic item and so relevant and important to our collection,” said Elizabeth Sudduth, director of rare books and special collections. “I can’t think of anything as great of a tribute to him or as a better addition to our collection.”

Tom McNally, the Dean of the University Libraries, conducted extensive background research on the manuscript and decided to bid on the document as a memorial tribute to Roy, who died in February 2013 after devoting his life to the study of Scottish literature.

USC purchased the manuscript using only funds from private donors.

Robert Burns is the national poet of Scotland, and he is among the most influential writers of his time. The manuscript arrives at USC with symbolic timing, as Burns’ birthday is celebrated internationally on Jan. 25.

USC houses more than 5,000 items about and belonging to Burns, from his porridge bowl and spoon to first and later editions of his poems and music.

Roy, a professor born into a family of book collectors, acquired most of the items in USC’s collection, which dates back to 1892.

The university acquired the collection in 1989, and the library continues to add to the internationally renowned collection. This collection has attracted scholars and visitors to Columbia from around the world for both individual research and for exhibitions and conferences.

The Robert Burns Association of North America will gather at USC for its annual conference in April.

The Burns manuscript is on display in the Dorothy B. Smith Reading Room in the Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library.