In Brief: February 26, 2014

Lexington revival to begin next month

The revival of Lexington’s downtown district will begin with the demolition of four buildings in mid-March, The State reported.

Mayor Steve MacDougall said the demolition is the “kickoff” of a $15 million revitalization project that will take three years to complete. Three empty stores and a home will be torn down to make room for the new developments.

Plans call for an amphitheater and plaza to be constructed on Church Street across from Town Hall, which will host concerts and events for up to 1,000 people. A new path will also be built and will wind through the downtown area.

Town leaders are also considering private-public partnerships to increase economic development and bring in new stores and offices on the three-acre site. Officials said talks with interested retailers are already under way.

_ — Sarah Martin, Assistant News Editor_

Columbia elections director fired

Eight months into his job as director of the Richland County Elections and Voter Registration Office, Howard Jackson has been fired, The State reported.

On Tuesday, Jackson held a press conference alleging that members of the election board resisted staff changes. He also said he planned to meet with the State Law Enforcement Division about uncounted voted in 2012 and 2013 elections.

The election board voted 4-1 on Monday to dismiss Jackson, 43, from his role; board member Samuel Selph saying “things were not going right.”

He was hired by the board following the problems encountered during the election of November 2012, when a lack of voting machines led to long lines. However, problems also haunted the 2013 mayoral election, when more than 1,000 votes went uncounted.

Jackson’s appointment had originally prompted concerns because he had been the focus of a SLED investigation into the distribution and collection of absentee ballots in Orangeburg.

Jackson’s last day as director will be Feb 28.

— Sarah Martin, Assistant News Editor

Santiago not charged following corruption allegations

Interim police chief Ruben Santiago will not be charged following an investigation into allegations of corruption, The State reported.

The investigation began in July after David Navarro, a former captain, accused Santiago of asking him to steal drugs and a gun from a crime scene. He also said Santiago was planning on planting the stolen items in Assistant City Manager Allison Baker’s car.

Santiago denied the allegations, saying Navarro was bitter after being removed from specialized units such as the drug suppression team. Santiago also called for a State Law Enforcement Division investigation into Navarro, saying he shredded documents before he was dismissed from those units.

A solicitor decided that there wasn’t enough evidence against Santiago or Navarro to warrant charges.

Following the decision, Mayor Steve Benjamin released a statement thanking the Columbia Police Department for its “patience and professionalism” and said officers “have remained focused on protecting and serving the people of Columbia.”

— Sarah Martin, Assistant News Editor