In Our Opinion: Streamlining administrative positions good for all

When it comes to the machinations of USC’s administrative positions, “increased efficiency” are the two most welcome words in the English language.

So, when President Harris Pastides merged seven upper-level job titles into four, those two words immediately sprang to mind.

While it may sound like political babble, this administrative shuffling will cut salary costs for USC by $400,000, without firing a single person.

At a time when USC is already being short-handed by a state administration obsessed with austerity, Pastides has managed to find a way to save money in a way that benefits everyone involved, including students.

While the $400,000 figure isn’t exactly a huge deal when compared to a school budget that tops $1 billion, every little bit helps.

Additionally, the elimination of long-vacant posts, whose responsibilities were already delegated to other officials, means that these officials will now get financial compensation for work they have already been doing.

These senior-level administrators already know how to do these jobs. The only difference is that now they are finally being recognized for their extra efforts.

It’s hard to see this as anything but a positive change.

One of the most basic principles of economics is paying people based on the quality and quantity of services that they provide. We’re glad that Pastides has seen to it that the hard work of these individuals is aptly rewarded.