In Our Opinion: With Santiago's investigation closed, his application deserves a second look

Last July, David Navarro, a former captain, accused Interim Police Chief Ruben Santiago of trying to steal drugs and a gun from a crime scene with the intent of planting them in an assistant city manager’s car. After months of investigation, officials now say there wasn’t enough evidence to bring charges against him.

This news comes shortly after a committee looking for Columbia’s next permanent chief opted not to name him a finalist. It’s hard to imagine that such allegations and an ongoing investigation by the state police didn’t weigh on the minds of the committee’s members.

That’s why we think Santiago’s application should get one more look. That’s not to say the committee should necessarily recommend him or the city manager hire him, but the conclusion of a major investigation, combined with a public uproar asking that Santiago be considered with the finalists, certainly warrants reconsideration.

We understand the department’s desire for a chief that isn’t native to Columbia and for an outsider’s perspective on the city’s crime woes, but Santiago is responsible for shifting the focus in Five Points from underage drinking to violent crime and gang activity. Five Points and Columbia certainly face plenty of issues, but that was a common-sense solution, and its impact has already been felt.

A solicitor’s decision not to bring charges doesn’t necessarily mean that Santiago should be named Columbia’s next permanent police chief. But if nothing else, now that he has a clean slate, Santiago’s application should be considered again.