Letter: Fox News justified in criticism of USC textbook choice

This letter is in response to a letter published by The Daily Gamecock on Tuesday headlined “USC staffer unfairly criticized on Fox News.”

To the individual who wrote this letter: There are many statements you presented as fact that cause me to question your historical knowledge of the nation that has afforded you an opportunity to educate yourself at this wonderful university.

First thing is first: There is no credible source in the annals of history that could even begin to suggest that Ronald Reagan was a sexist — something you say is undeniably true. Have you ever heard of Sandra Day O’Connor? The next time you Google top-down liberal talking points for the purpose of skewing historical accuracy, open a separate tab and Google names such as Jean Kirkpatrick, Elizabeth Dole, Margaret Heckler and Ann Dore McLaughlin, to name a few.

Another thing that is alarming is your apparent and inflammatory racial undertones within your argument. You, as a student, have signed the Carolinian Creed — the same one that I, along with all the other students, have signed. Words cannot speak justice as to how biased, unprofessional and downright intolerant it is of you to dismiss Anna Chapman simply because she is a “young woman with the privilege of a white, middle-class upbringing.”

Why does her race or upbringing matter? After all, this country is based on the premise that no matter what your upbringing is, no matter what your race is, no matter what your creed, sexual orientation or train of thought may be, you have equal opportunity to pursue what ever you want regardless of who doesn’t like it. Contrary to what you (and the Internal Revenue Service, apparently) believe, America is the land of opportunity. I believe Oprah Winfrey and Clarence Thomas would delightfully agree.

For you to insinuate that Chapman is afraid to confront history for what it is shows me that you know nothing about Chapman. She is a courageous young woman who has committed herself to making this university a better place. Would you be willing to confront a college professor if she penalized you for not accepting something you disagreed with as fact? That task alone can be daunting enough. But to go even further, would you go as far to show your face on national television — on the most popular program for its time slot — to defend your position?

I do not know Rushondra James, and I hope I have the chance to meet her some day. It is not in my interest, however, to evaluate her character. The fact of this whole matter is that she made a mistake in choosing this sexist, racist and inaccurate textbook for the class and a courageous woman did something about it.

Chapman felt convicted in her beliefs, said what she had to say, and I pray to God that she has made a change. Doing just that, my friend, is exactly what history is all about.