Letter from the Editor: Consider our endorsements, or make your own

The Daily Gamecock’s staff spent hours considering this year’s Student Government candidates, and today, we bring you our endorsements.

They represent the slate of candidates we think will serve USC students best next year, and we don’t take making such decisions lightly.

A bit about our process: The newspaper’s staff interviewed each candidate individually for between 20 and 30 minutes; the candidates were also allowed to give an opening and a closing statement. They were asked about their platforms, their experience and their opinions about the issues that matter most to students.
Based on those conversations, the staff debated each candidate’s strengths and weaknesses and their beliefs and ideas.

We are also careful to make sure each candidate had a chance to get his or her message out, which is why our front page today is dedicated to profiles of the candidates — who they are, what they’ve done and what they hope to do.

Our goal is that every student has the opportunity to vote feeling well informed about the candidates, and we hope that every student will cast a vote this year.

Doing so is easy — it’s just a few clicks on Self Service Carolina — and voting is open through Wednesday at 5 p.m. Take a few minutes to read through our profiles and to research the candidate’s websites and social media accounts.

It will only take you a few minutes, but the impacts will last for a year.

—Thad Moore, Editor-in-Chief