In Our Opinion: Ryan Harman deserves treasurer position

In politics, you have to be able to communicate, period. From lowly intern to U.S. Senator, if you can’t make yourself be understood then you’re not going to be around for very long. In the end, our decision to support Ryan Harman for student body treasurer came down to his communication skills, as well as his composure and experience, both of which were impressive on their own.
Put together, they are the qualities that a treasurer needs to function on a day-to-day basis.

Harman’s experience is extensive: He has managed budgets and petitioned for funds on behalf of some of the most visible and well-funded groups at USC. Studying business, he has worked as treasurer for BGLSA, vice president of internal affairs for Carolina Productions and comptroller for Student Government.
His work with these groups has given him a unique perspective when it comes to budgeting for student organizations. While he has worked for SG, Harman has also interacted with SG’s allocations process as a representative of student-run groups.
Harman is one of the few people who can rightly claim to know the system inside and out.

Natalie Hageman, his opponent, has a much more traditional background. Her work as the senate finance committee chair underscores her campaign message of experience. She is also one of the few who worked on the revised finance codes that passed last October.

As an SG insider, she is intimately familiar with these updated codes and regulations. However, when it comes to communication and the transfer of ideas, Harman has the edge. And, in an office that requires interpersonal interaction and that deals so often with outside groups, the value of those skills is hard to overestimate.
In person, Harman comes off as generally unflappable and cool-headed. In our meeting with him, he stated his beliefs clearly and with purpose. His plan of action, which mostly centered on reforming the training and working hours of comptrollers, were well reasoned and feasible.

We are convinced that Harman has the skills and knowledge necessary to effectively manage a position as treasurer.