Students brave cold waters for Polar Bear Plunge

<p>Participants braved cold waters in the Maxcy-Gregg Pool Saturday for the Polar Bear Plunge, benefiting the Special Olympics.</p>
Participants braved cold waters in the Maxcy-Gregg Pool Saturday for the Polar Bear Plunge, benefiting the Special Olympics.

It was only 60 degrees outside on Friday, but that didn’t stop 34 people from jumping into the waters of the Maxcy-Gregg Pool wearing bathing suits, street clothes or crazy costumes and glow sticks for the first annual Polar Plunge.

Each of the participants was required to raise $50 in order to plunge, and all of the money was donated to the Special Olympics. Every participant was also given a T-shirt and a meal.
Individuals who raised $500 received a hoodie, and participants who raised $1,000 were awarded a robe.

The 22 athletes registered with Special Olympics in Columbia, who train all year long, will benefit from the donations. The event raised a total of $12,000.

Participants showed their dedication for the cause by braving the cold waters, like first-year public relations student Ashley Thon, who will take over as the president of Special Olympics at USC next year.

“I have a fractured foot, so I had to slide in,” Thon said. “The water’s a lot colder than the air.”

The cause hit close to home for some participants and motivated them to jump in.

“My sister has special needs, and she likes to do other activities, so I know how important it is for special needs kids to participate in sports,” first-year exercise science student Connor Mushlit.

The event fell during one of Columbia’s warmest weeks this winter, and participants were thankful there was no longer snow or ice on the ground, even though the water was still cold.

“It was cold for starters,” third-year business student Ben Andersen said. “It wasn’t as bad as I thought. Once you jumped in, it wasn’t that bad.”

Some students said they almost enjoyed jumping into the pool.

“I thought it was refreshing,” third-year media arts student Stephen Crooks said. “It woke me up a bit.”

The event was planned by Lieutenant Teena Gooding from the USC Police Department and Michael Piper, founder of Special Olympics at USC. Since polar plunges are a trend throughout the state and nation, they decided to bring the idea to campus.

Gooding said her favorite part of the event was watching everyone jump in the water and knowing the money raised was going to the Special Olympics.

Special Olympics at USC gave out “Golden Plunger” awards for the top individual, business, sorority and fraternity and that raised the most money. Awards were also given for the best costumes for both individuals and teams, which went to a participant dressed as a minion from the movie “Despicable Me” and Special Olympics at USC, respectively.