USC Idol doles out talent in spades

<p>Garrett Schiponi, original piece</p>
Garrett Schiponi, original piece

Schiponi takes first place in student singing competition

Carolina Productions hosted USC Idol, the USC equivalent of the American Idol series, Tuesday night. Eight students competed in front of three judges and an excited audience, and fourth-year management student Garrett Schiponi came out on top, chosen by audience applause and judges’ votes.

The judges offered surprisingly analytical feedback — there were no Simon Cowell-esque takedowns to be found. Instead, judges Paul Critzman III, Dustin Ousley, and Walter Graham were constructive and friendly, an instrumental choice in making the atmosphere relaxed.

Starting off the show was Nick Evangelista with a spirited performance of “Wrecking Ball,” pulling double duty on piano and vocals. Cami Reid followed up with a powerful rendition of “I Can’t Make You Love Me.” The judges found little to criticize about her voice, instead commenting on her stage presence.

Benjamin Peele walked in with a guitar, a folksy plaid shirt and good ol’ boy looks, and immediately began rapping, leading into an acoustic version of “No Diggity” by Dr. Dre. It was certainly a surprising choice, but the judges agreed that he pulled it off well.

Helen Green, a London emigrant, was joined by Peele on guitar and beatboxing for a surprise rendition of Frank Ocean’s “Thinkin Bout You.” In a one-two punch display of vocal strength, Nick Peter swallowed the room with a performance of “I’ll Be” full of star power and Meredith Love gave a theatrical performance of Adele’s “I Found A Boy” with all of the core power of Adele herself.

Schiponi offered up an original piece, a tender and heartfelt breakup song that he crooned over a bouncy guitar background. Natalie Smith finished the show off with a performance of “Falling Slowly,” which the judges found touching, if a bit hampered by nerves.

The poll ended up not working — it turns out that PollEv.com only allows up to 40 votes without a membership ­— so they defaulted back to voting by applause, with an additional metric for judge’s favorite.

Coming in first place was Schiponi, who earned four singing lessons and the chance to open for CP’s April concert. In second place was Green, and coming in third was Peter.