Letter to the Editor: Court storming poses safety threat to participants

Was it really worth it?

$25,000. Lost.

Students, and apparently some faculty as well, couldn’t resist storming the basketball court after the big win over Kentucky. We, as a university, are being fined over it by the SEC.
I must be living in the part of the country that isn’t experiencing economic trouble. Where a $25,000 fine is no big deal. Heck, USC President Harris Pastides even said he “enjoyed every dollar” lost as he ran down to join students on the court.

But what about safety?

The SEC says that the fine was established to prevent students from storming the football/baseball fields or basketball courts and causing injury. There is a real threat to students and athletes when everyone in a stadium decides that they want to be a part of the celebration of a victory in a small space. People can get trampled. Don’t believe me? Look it up!

There was a situation with an athlete named Joe Kay. His team, from a high school in Tucson, Ariz., won its basketball game against a rival, and afterwards, the fans rushed the court. They trampled him.
Luckily, he was able to recover. However, there are stories of other athletes that are not so luck.

I get that people want to celebrate, but to storm such a small space is dangerous. To have a leader like Pastides participate is irresponsible.

Some students have claimed that the fine is tolerable every once in awhile, because storming the courts shows school spirit and support for a sport. Does potentially crippling an athlete or student really show school spirit?

I think Pastides and the student body need a reality check when it comes to safety. Hopefully that won’t be in the form of a crippled athlete or student after a big win.

—Manuel Velez, third-year public health student