New Shalimar Curry House valuable culinary addition

Indian restaurant atmospheric, delicious stop for adventurous diner

Even before entering the door of the new Shalimar Curry House, patrons are greeted by the sound of sitar music and the full, rich scents of Indian spices. Inside, the red and cream walls, decorated with images of elephants and Hindu Temples, create a cozy atmosphere. A long bar filled with a myriad of sauces, rice dishes and meats stretches the length of the shop, leaving only a narrow aisle of space for tables and chairs.

The owners of Shalimar have a new twist to a traditional curry house by allowing the patron to customize their bowl of curry, in the style of Subway or Moe’s. The customer can choose different options for flavor of rice, type of meat, sauces, vegetables and toppings.

“Make me your favorite dish” is a popular order at Shalimar since many Americans are unfamiliar with the flavors and best combinations of sauces like Tikka Masala and Korma.

The most interesting part of the experience, aside from the delicious food, is the way the curry bowl maker explains the origins of different parts of the dish and why certain flavors work together. He explains that the brown rice called basmati is from Northern India, and that masala sauces go better with chicken than with beef or lamb.

Shalimar Curry House is well worth a visit for any college foodie to try some new delicious food, learn new facts and meet the great people that work there.