Be considerate: Turn down your headphones' volume

“Excuse me, would you mind turning down your volume? We can hear everything you’re listening to.”

Just last week, I was sitting beside a girl in class who was catching up on her favorite shows on Netflix. Usually, I would ignore that type of thing and go on about my own business, but within minutes of her show, everyone in the back section of the classroom had turned around to stare at her. She had no idea, but people three rows away could make out the words to her show because she was listening to the show so loudly through her headphones.
Moreover, a few months ago my shuttle driver turned off the radio that supplies music for the entire ride and yelled at a guy who had his headphones blasting music. The driver explained that it’s unfair to listen to headphones so loud that others can’t even enjoy the radio on the bus.

As college students who likely rub shoulders and share personal space far more than some of us would care to tolerate or admit, it shouldn’t take too long for any of us to recall the last time someone was blaring their headphones without so much as a second thought to the people surrounding them.

In fact, sometimes their disturbance doesn’t even cross their mind. Many times, people don’t realize how high they have their headphone volume, especially if they consistently keep it on the top level. When you ask them to lower the sound a little, they may not even have realized they were causing a disruption. In this case, we ought to cut them some slack, though it doesn’t make their volume any less distracting.

Regardless of where you overhear the person beside you, you will usually find it irritating and distracting. The next thing you know, you’ve got to get up from your studying groove or break your focus in one way or another to politely ask them to turn down their music.

Noise pollution is never thrilling for outside parties, especially in places where people don’t expect it.

The classroom and the library are two places students go to be attentive and focused on their studies, yet when their neighbors are blaring headphones, they may get discouraged and annoyed.
Next time you find yourself listening to music or a show on your headphones, please be considerate of those around you. Not everyone wants to hear the same things as you do, and it’s responsible to be conscientious of this.

Headphones were a wonderful invention, but it’s about time our generation was reminded that they are designed for personal use.

— Cecilia Brown, second-year journalism student