Student Media leaders named for upcoming terms

The next leaders of The Daily Gamecock, Garnet & Black magazine and WUSC-FM were selected Wednesday by the Board of Student Publications and Communications.

Hannah Jeffrey, a second-year journalism student, will serve as the editor-in-chief of The Daily Gamecock next fall, and Richard Lipkin, also a second-year journalism student, will be the paper’s summer editor-in-chief.

Chris Rosa, a third-year public relations student, has been named editor-in-chief of Garnet & Black magazine, and Savannah Walker, a third-year interdisciplinary studies student, will be WUSC’s station manager. Rosa and Walker will serve yearlong terms.

“I’m thrilled to have been selected to lead our staff, because we have a really great group of people,” Jeffrey said. “The paper is really going places, and I’m really excited to be in a position to take it there.”

After serving as news editor, Jeffrey said she plans to focus on staff accountability, multimedia, training and recruitment during her time as editor-in-chief.

Jeffrey will replace current Editor-in-Chief Thad Moore, who said this is an ideal time for her to take over.

“We’re coming out of a sort of rebuilding year; we’ve got a really young staff,” Moore said. “I think an editor needs three things to be successful: talent, good ideas and the enthusiasm to bring them to fruition. Hannah has all of those in spades, and I can’t wait to see her build on the progress The Daily Gamecock has made.”

After serving as one of two copy desk chiefs this semester, Lipkin plans to focus on the paper’s Web presence during his tenure.

“I feel like it’s a great honor that the Board of Publications recognized me as being qualified to lead such a wonderful group of people,” Lipkin said. “I feel that I bring a fresh perspective to the editor-in-chief position.”

Moore said he is looking forward to seeing where Lipkin will take the paper over the course of the summer.

“Richard has a lot of great ideas about how we can improve our Web presence,” Moore said. “I think this summer will give him a great opportunity to begin to implement them.”

Savannah Walker will take over WUSC as station manager and plans to focus on Web presence, keeping WUSC relevant as the media platform changes and maintaining a strong community within the organization.

“I feel incredibly excited. I feel like this is a journey I’ve been on since freshman year,” Walker said. “I’m excited for the challenges ahead.”

Kate Appelbaum, WUSC’s current station manager, said she believes Walker will carry on the legacy she started.

“I think we were really able to dig into [presence and image] this year, and I think that our next station manager continuing that will be really great,” Appelbaum said. “We’re really happy to have her.”

Rosa, Garnet & Black’s current online editor, said he plans to focus on both print and digital platforms to initiate conversations between students.

“We’ve had really great leadership this year,” Rosa said. “But our campus is changing every year, and people are changing every year, and I think we can take the magazine in a whole new direction as Carolina is becoming more accepting of diversity and becoming more tolerant.”

Annie Drowne, the magazine’s current editor-in-chief, said she is confident in Rosa being at the publication’s helm.

“I’m really excited for him. He’s worked so hard this year. He’s such a big asset, and I know he’ll do a great job,” Drowne said.