Weekly rundown: April 7 - 11

What: NBT New Music Night: Slone’s Agenda / Silver Screen Orchestra / Incredibly Tall People / Oneforall / Unsettled
When: Doors open at 6 p.m.
Cost: $5 over 21, $8 under 21

This showcase of local talent is so brand spankin’ new that the headliners, Slone’s Agenda, doesn’t even have music available for listening online (the website just shows a monkey smoking a cigar next to the words “Coming Soon”). Think of the concert as a blind date, except with music instead of forced small talk.

What: About Face Drawing Session, Columbia Museum of Art
When: Portrait Drawing: 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Figure Drawing: 7:15 to 9:15 p.m.
Cost: $5 for students, $8 for members and $10 for non-members

Whether a budding Picasso or an amateur artist, all are welcome to sharpen their portrait and figure drawing skills at About Face, hosted by the Columbia Museum of Art. The two classes operate without an instructor, but feature a “supportive and friendly environment” in which artists of all skill sets can interact and improve. The cost of entrance includes both portrait and figure drawing sessions.

What: Madame Magar’s Workshop, 701 Center for Contemporary Art
When: Center open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Cost: Free for members, $5 suggested donation for non-members

This exhibit of Charleston artist Leigh Magar’s work explores contemporary fashion and hat design in an “innovative, imaginative installation.” The gallery space has been transformed into a workshop and showroom, designed to illustrate the artist’s creative process. Magar will create clothing and hats in the installation in real time, with a complete collection released at the exhibit’s culmination on April 30.

What: Champagne and Pearls: An Evening with Mikimoto, Columbia Museum of Art
When: Doors open at 6 p.m., lecture begins at 6:15 p.m.
Cost: $30 for members, $40 for non-members

The Columbia Museum of Art and Sylvan’s Jewelers are collaborating to discuss the preeminent name in pearls: Mikimoto, a Japanese-based company credited with bringing the first cultured pearls to the marketplace. The company’s senior vice president will share founder Kokichi Mikimoto’s story, with a champagne reception and trunk show to follow.

What: Indie Grits Opening Night Party, behind the Nickelodeon Theater
When: 6 p.m.
Cost: Free

Columbia’s own music and arts festival kicks off Friday night with music, food and fun. Power folk artist Rachel Kate and Shantih Shantih, a four-woman rock band, will soundtrack the event. Village Idiot, the Wurst Wagen, Paradise Ice and Bourbon will vend their capital city specialties like bratwurst Cajun-Creole cuisine and New York-style pizza, and the Whig will provide a wide variety of beer.

— Compiled by Amanda Coyne, Print Managing Editor, and Erika Ryan, Assistant Mix Editor