In our opinion: Gov. Haley in the right when vetoing pay raise

On Thursday, Gov. Nikki Haley vetoed the $12,000-a-year raise that lawmakers voted to give themselves.

In her defense, Haley made good points, saying that any raise for lawmakers should be decided by voters in a referendum.

She also pointed out the disproportionate increase between this proposed increase — an extra $12,000 tacked on to the $10,400 legislators receive yearly — and the two percent increase for state employees.

Haley ended up cutting $18.5 million in total from the $7 billion budget, which is the smallest amount of cuts she’s made during her entire time in office: last year, she cut $94 million, with $67.5 million cut in 2012.

In 2011, the budget was diminished by a whopping $213 million.

Compared to our neighbors, South Carolina comes in last. Georgian legislators make a little more than $17,000 a year, while legislators in North Carolina bring home almost $14,000 a year.
It isn’t as though this veto would come as a surprise to lawmakers, since Haley told them that she was going to veto the raise.

She put forth a valid question when discussing vetoing the raise, asking whether or not this is the best time for this, considering the current focus on first responders and education.
The proposed $12,000 would go to $1,000 monthly stipends for in-district expenses, which means their salary would more than double.

There are more important things on the table for the legislature to talk about, issues that are more relevant to the people of South Carolina.

On Tuesday, when they reconvene to discuss if they’ll sustain or override the veto, they also have other matters to discuss: the ethics reform, which has garnered so much controversy on its own, as well as a proposal to make the College of Charleston a research university.
They also have to elect new leaders, including lieutenant governor.

Like Haley said, is now really the time for this?

Haley was right to veto this raise. It’s a waste of time to consider this now, especially since she had previously told them that she’d veto it if they tried to run it past her.
She was also right in saying that any raise given to lawmakers should be voted on by the people of South Carolina. Who better to decide their pay than the ones the legislature works to serve?
Any increase in salary should reflect their job performance, especially in a job that is all about working to provide for the people.

If they really want a raise, it should be equal or at least closer to the two percent raise given to state employees.