In Our Opinion: Star's suicide sparks debate

Chances are, you didn’t know Robin Williams.

Yes, he was an actor and comedian with an unparalleled range of impressions and a face that demanded sympathy, but very few can say that they knew the man.

So, why is it that this man’s suicide has affected so many on such a deeply personal level? Even the reaction to the death of princess Diana in the early ‘90s seems to pale in comparison.

Perhaps it is because, for many of us, he was a character who we grew up around: a recognizable, ever-present figure, who, when given the right script, could work real magic on the screen.

Again, everyone who intentionally chooses death over life has his or her own reasons. What is unquestionable is that such a public and well-covered suicide case has a “contagion” effect, which makes others more likely to take their own lives.

And, now that more people die in the U.S. by suicide than by car accidents, this media explosion could have very real effects on the lives of those vulnerable to suicidal thoughts.

For this reason, it is important to focus on the death as neither noble nor something necessarily worthy of condemnation.

Trying to decry or justify the reason Williams’ committed suicide is outside what we can judge. No matter how well one might have thought one knew him, his reasons were his own.

However, there is a larger issue inevitably brought up by Williams’ death: depression. Depression, clinically diagnosed or not, affects many and can be especially harmful to the young. It is all around us, even if it is not easy to recognize.

At a college campus, the choices students make are more or less their own. They must bear responsibility for their actions. That kind of freedom can be overwhelming, especially for those experiencing it for the first time. Making the wrong choices, in retrospect, can leave one layered in guilt and self-reproach.

In the light of such a public suicide, and the tumultuous changes that new freedoms and regrets may bring for those at USC, it is important to remember the resources the school has to help.
Just some of the resources consist of: 10 free personal counseling sessions offered by the Student Health Center and free support groups for a number of different psychological subjects.

Resident mentors also receive training to help deal with psychological issues students may have. If you need someone to talk to and aren’t interested in setting up an appointment, this is an alternative option.

Additionally, the Behavioral Intervention Team (composed of members from University Housing, USC police and Student Health Services) can be called in should there be emergency issues related to mental health.

An old joke, from the classic graphic novel Watchmen, tells the story of a man who goes to the doctor with a severe case of depression. He says to his doctor that there seems to be no hope, and that the future is impenetrable and uncertain.

The doctor replies that there is a famous clown in town tonight, by the name of Pagliacci. Seeing him will surely cure his depression and make him happy.

The man begins to cry. “Doctor,” he says. “I am Pagliacci.”

In the wake of such a high-profile death, it is important to reach out to others if you feel you need to. It may not be immediately obvious when someone might need a friendly face.

USC has the professional tools to help, but talking to a RM or someone you know well (or who might need help themselves) is a decision with everything to gain and nothing to lose.