USC honor society chapter receives award for sixth time

Glenda Earwood made the more than three-hour drive from Macon, Georgia for a chapter meeting of an honor society.

Earwood is the executive director of Alpha Lambda Delta and she said her sixth trip to bestow the Order of the Torch Award on the USC chapter of the honor society, which is designed to recognize outstanding freshmen, was “well worth it.”

“This chapter has certainly fulfilled the mission of Alpha Lambda Delta of giving generously and reaching out to the emotions of other people,” Earwood said. “This chapter sets goals and then accomplishes those goals … that’s important, not only for right now, but also when you leave the gates of the University of South Carolina.”

ALD won the Order of the Torch for the first time in 1996, and they’ve won it every time they’ve been eligible since then.

“It’s an honor,” said ALD president Karra McCray. “I’m so excited that even over 10 years to know that our chapter is still living up to the standards set forth by the chapters that came before us and that we’re continuing to keep the torch alive.”

According to Earwood, the members of the USC chapter have completed 567 hours of service through at least eight different projects.

“We have a rich tradition of excellence here,” ALD advisor Vin Buonocore said. “Being a part of ALD is a pretty cool feather to have in your hat before you leave here.”