Column: Disney still holds magic

The screen turns blue, the music swells, the fairy flies in a perfect arc over the perfect castle and every child in America knows that magic is about to happen on screen.

Disney is one of the biggest corporations in the world and got that position by finding its way into the hearts of children everywhere with their charming animation and enchanting theme parks.

But despite the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on dresses and trips to see plaster castles in temperate climates, I am not a Disney princess, nor will I ever be.

Even in my “adultolecence,” I still find comfort in ending my days with repeats of favorites like  “Pocahontas,” ”The Little Mermaid” and good ol’ “Cinderella.” I’ve found a home in these movies for years, enjoying these movies in private or “ironically” for fear of being accosted with the negative social impact Disney has had. Although well loved, these films are often criticized for portraying unrealistic standards for beauty and relationships to the youngest and most impressionable part of society. As a modern feminist, I wondered if my movie-watching practices weren’t somehow undermining my own beliefs.

The first song I learned all the words to as a child was “Someday My Prince Will Come” from “Snow White,” a song from Disney’s first princess about resting all her hopes upon a man on a white horse (somehow fixing all existing problems and not at all exasperating them or creating any new ones) that prods at the flaming anger in a feminist's heart.

It makes you feel like a traitor to yourself. Your Facebook wall is full of statements about being independent, exalting exemplary women who have fought against the odds and proved their strength, but your Spotify history shows that you’ve listened to “Beauty and the Beast” seven times on repeat. OK, maybe eight, it's a great song!

Can I be a self-respecting woman and a Disney fan? Recently, I’ve decided that I can and I am.

How? Interpretation.

I could choose to look at my favorite childhood movies and take on the popular view that they are sexist and use men to solve their problems, but I choose to take a more complex view.

It can be argued that Ariel always had a fascination with things on land and Prince Eric was just the straw that broke the sea cow’s back.

It can also be argued that movies like “Mulan,” “The Princess and the Frog,” “Tangled” and “Frozen” feature really strong female leads that completely go against the sexist Disney stereotypes.

I think one issue that feminists often speak out about is that women are not viewed complexly in the media. There are the hot ones and the brainy ones and that's how they are characterized. Obviously this interpretation is not productive to the view of women in the whole of media, and giving princesses the same treatment is just perpetuating that problem. These characters are rather vague and can often be left up to interpretation. We must make the choice not to dismiss things as sexist or not sexist and look at them complexly to truly appreciate what they are and what they have to offer.

Do I believe that young girls should be taught that romantic love will solve all their problems? No, but if they are being taught to watch things critically then girls will be able to take the good part of these movies to heart, like the amazing musical scores and the good character traits that many of the princesses possess.

Belle loves to read, Ariel is curious about the unknown, Anna values family and Jasmine chooses to do what is right for her, not what she is told to do. These are the traits that parents should emphasize to young girls, not playing up the dresses and the romance like they do in the toy aisle.

While it may require some complex viewing and some active parenting, I think there is still some magic to be found in that blue castle for the next generation of feminists.