Column: Double standards must disband

Double standards are becoming a huge deal. 

Recently, a controversial topic has been on how feminism has changed over the past few decades, and it has swarmed social media sites like Twitter and Facebook. Emma Watson, an actress most commonly known as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series, talked to the U.N. about her standpoint on modern day feminism and the hashtag #HeForShe took over Twitter. People are saying that the new idea of feminism isn’t really equality but only women hating on men.

Just because a man holds the door open for a woman doesn’t mean he thinks less of her. It’s just what men are expected to do. There are some women who just refuse to go through a door if a man is holding it open for her. How does that make you less of a person? That’s just man-hating. Don’t be insulted if a man is holding the door, his mother probably taught him to do that when he was 10-years-old. Just because a man is nice doesn’t mean he thinks women are emotionally unstable to handle certain comments. It just means he was raised properly.

Older generations do look down upon some women and their lives. I’ve experienced that firsthand. I’ve been told I should be a stay-at-home mom because it’s what’s expected of me. Elderly grandmothers expect women to be the domestic housekeeper and grandfathers expect their grandsons to support a family one day. That was back in the day and times are different now. Society has changed the foundation of women’s rights and equality.

We as people shouldn't be judged just because we’re a man or a woman. Today’s world needs to break down the wall that separates the genders. If a woman can’t physically do something, it’s simply because she isn’t strong enough; not because she’s a woman. If a man can’t understand the emotional value of a first date, it’s because he doesn’t over-analyze situations; not that he’s an inconsiderate person. Who molded these personas and dubbed them female and male characteristics?

If people don’t start forming their own opinions instead of piggy backing others, we’ll become a twisted world. Becoming an independent person and establishing individual beliefs is a huge part of being an adult. That being said, no one deserves being attacked if their opinion is different from the norm. Respect is a universal trait that should be given to another human being regardless of their age or gender.