In Brief: Oct. 16

Gay couple files lawsuit against South Carolina marriage ban

A gay couple in South Carolina filed a lawsuit against the state after they didn't receive their marriage license, The Associated Press reported.

The couple filed the suit Wednesday, and it's the second federal lawsuit that challenges the ban on same-sex marriage in the state.

Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to listen to a court case appealing the same-sex ban in Virginia by a federal appeals court that has jurisdiction reaching into South Carolina.

The Charleston County couple, Colleen Condon and Nichols Bleckley, were the first couple in the state to file for the same-sex marriage license and hope they can get a federal judge to declare the ban unconstitutional.

Condon and Bleckley said they have received messages from hundreds of people saying they want their licenses, as well.

Southeastern tourism leaders flock to SC

The leaders of the tourism industry are making their way down to South Carolina for a three-day meeting, according to WLTX-TV.

The Southeastern Tourism Society will hold its fall forum in Charleston to discuss a variety of topics dealing with tourism in the Southeast.

The fall forum started Tuesday and will end Thursday and includes about 200 representatives from the tourism industry.

Members will discuss topics involving the tourism industry, speak about historic sites involving the Revolutionary War and explain how to bolster the tourism industry in their respective states.

The 12 states  represented in the society range from the southern border of Alabama to the western border of Arkansas and reach as far north as Virginia.

The Southeastern Tourism Society was created more than 30 years ago to help cooperatively promote the southeastern states to potential visitors.

Local radio host accused of sexual assault

A Greenville man was arrested after being accused of sexual assault, according to WIS-TV.

Joshua Kimbrell, 29,  was arrested Tuesday after he was charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor under 11 years old.

According to the arrest warrant, Kimbrell is accused of playing a game where he inappropriately touched and fondled a 3-year-old child.

Kimbrell  hosts Greenville area conservative radio show Common Cents  weekdays on 92.9FM and 660AM.

Along with hosting the radio show, Kimbrell is the Chairman of the Board for Palmetto Conservative Alliance Foundation.