Column: Hint to new Potter content underwhelms

Magic can be found in the places you least expect it, but I don’t think a tweet from J.K. Rowling is going to cast a spell to resurrect our beloved Harry Potter. The Tweet reads as follows: 

"Cry, foe! Run amok! Fa awry! My wand won’t tolerate this nonsense." 

Rowling then teased that it was something to think about as she worked.

Rowling has a gift. For years her spellbinding words acted as an invisibility cloak from the real world. Nothing else mattered between the covers of those books except Harry, Ron, Hermione and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Even the stodgiest, stuffiest, Umbridge-iest reader felt that even if “all was well” when the series ended, there would still be a hole not easily filled in our lives.

This tweet was like a big, rare steak being thrown to a rabid three-headed dog. We are starving, jonesing for just one more taste of the wonder that we found in those pages, and even something as vague as a possible anagram in a tweet is something that the internet will explode over.

However, I think expecting a throwback to the glory days of Hogwarts is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The last time we were promised a big “Harry Potter” surprise, what did we get? Pottermore . How often did you go on Pottermore? Literally never except the first time when you took the sorting test. It was boring and basically just rereading the books with a bunch of random activities in the way.

And what else is there to do on Pottermore? Buy things.  I hate to be that way, but unfortunately the wide-spread popularity of the Harry Potter series lends itself to being very profitable.

This can be a good thing. I think Rowling is a brilliant author and I appreciate what she has contributed to my life and the lives of millions, but after the trips to theme parks and the hardcover books and the T-shirts, I can’t bring myself to spend any more money on a franchise that, at the end of the day, is over.

We can miss Potter all we want, and I think part of me always will, but I just cannot foresee whatever this anagram contains living up to the magical series.