Weekend Calendar: Oct. 10

WEDNESDAY

MODERN AND CONTEMPORARY ART FROM THE COLLECTION

Columbia Museum of Art

1515 Main St.

Oct. to Jan., Tue to Fri 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sun Noon to 5 p.m., $5 (with student I.D.)

This exhibition, which continues until January, is an overview of the CMA’s modern and contemporary art collections. Featured artists include South Carolina native (and former USC student) Jasper Johns, Robert Motherwell, Adolph Gottlieb and others. The exhibit includes sculptures, paintings and photography that have never before been shown to the public.

THURSDAY

ROOFTOP RHYTHMS PRESENTED BY THE CITY OF FOREST ACRES

Rooftop at Richland Mall

3400 Forest Dr.

Thu Oct. 23, 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., Free

The FreeWay Music Allstars will open for hometown favorite, The Sensational Epics, on Thursday. This concert will end a successful festival-style series put on by the City of Forest Acres. There will be food and drink for sale, as well as a free photo booth and bouncy castle.

FRIDAY

THE OTHER PLACE

Trustus Theatre

520 Lady St.

Fri Oct. 24 to Nov. 1, 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. (Thu), 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (Fri & Sat), $15 (with student I.D.)

Trustus Theatre presents a drama about a neurologist, Juliana Smithton, whose life is unraveling around her. Her husband has left her, her daughter has run off with an older man and her own health is jeopardy. The play unravels as a mystery with a surprise around every turn. Smithton's mental health may be more than meets the eye.

WITCHES, DEATH AND CHAOS WITH COLUMBIA BAROQUE

Spears Center for the Arts, Columbia College

1301 Columbia College Dr.

Fri Oct. 24, 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., $15 in advance, $20 at the door

Columba Baroque invites you to celebrate All Hallows Eve. Music from composers Jean-Féry Rebel, John Blow and Henry Purcell evokes the darker elements of chamber music: death, chaos and black magic.

SATURDAY

SPOOKTACULAR NIGHT AT THE CMA

Columbia Museum of Art, 1515 Main St.

Sat Oct. 25, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Free with a canned good donation

This Saturday, ghosts, pumpkins, art stations and more will take over the museum for a night of family friendly fun. Entrance to the event is free with a canned good donation that will go to the Harvest Hope Food Bank.

MY NAME IS RACHEL CORRIE

Conundrum Music Hall, 626 Meeting St.

Sat Oct. 25, 7 p.m., $10 to $15 at door

While Conundrum is typically a concert venue, this Saturday they are staging a play, hosted by Carolina Peace. “My Name is Rachel Corrie” is based on peace activist Rachel Corrie’s life from adolescence on. The proceeds of this event will benefit The Freedom Theatre in the West Bank.

SUNDAY

BOO AT THE ZOO

Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, 500 Wildlife Parkway

Sun Oct. 26, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., $9 / $7 for Riverbanks members, tickets should be purchased in advance

"Boo at the Zoo" is a 14 day long annual event put on by the zoo encouraging parents to bring their kids along for family fun. There are a variety of events, including a Trick-or-Treat Trail, costume parade, dance party, hay maze and much more.

DADS / TINY MOVING PARTS / NAI HARVEST / BIG AWESOME

New Brookland Tavern, 122 State St.

Sun Oct. 26, 7:30 p.m., $10

The New Jersery-based alternative group Dads is taking the stage this Sunday at New Brookland Tavern. Tiny Moving Parts and Nai Harvest will be playing with Dads as part of their nation-wide tour together, alongside Big Awesome out of Bluffton, South Carolina.