Briefs, Nov. 13

DSS mistakenly takes girl from elementary school

Monday afternoon, Dedra Shacklette discovered her daughter, Victoria, was mistakenly picked up by the Department of Social Services from her Greenville elementary school, WYFF reported.  

The Upstate mother discovered her daughter was missing when she picked up her two children from North Street Academy for a doctor's appointment. A DSS caseworker was scheduled to pick up another girl at the school to take to her new foster parents, but when they saw Victoria in the office waiting, they took her instead.  

The school immediately contacted the foster parents by telephone, and Victoria was returned to her mother.

Shacklette, in a statement, says she plans to take legal action.

— Kelly Villwock, Design Director

One dead, another injured after high speed chase in Columbia

In Columbia, one person was killed and one person was injured in a crash following a high speed pursuit on Wednesday afternoon, WIS reported.

Richland County Deputies said they noticed a suspicious vehicle stopped near the corner of Hazelwood Drive and Burdell Road at around 3:30 p.m. and initiated a routine stop. A recent string of burglaries in the area had police on high alert. However, the suspects sped away and came to a stop nearly six miles away after their car flipped into oncoming traffic.

The driver was not wearing a seatbelt, according to Lance Cpl. David Jones, SCHP, and died at the scene. However, the passenger sustained only minor injuries and was taken to the hospital. A second passenger was apparently uninjured.

The South Carolina Highway Patrol teams will continue to investigate the crash.

— Lois Carlisle, Assistant News Editor

Trial begins in Hunnewell murder

Opening statements were delivered Wednesday in the dual trial of two men accused of the shooting death of Kelly Hunnewell last year, WIS reported.

Trenton Barnes and Lorenzo Young are accused of entering Hunnewell's place of business, a bakery near Columbia, and murdering her. Hunnewell was a mother of four. Her body was discovered by a neighbor.

Assistant Solicitor Dolly Garfield began the trial by outlining evidence against Barnes and Young, asserting that they both were equally capable of committing the crime.

The defense brushed off Garfield's assertions, claiming the lead investigator threatened Young with the death penalty.

After the defense made their claim, Judge Robert Hood sent the jury out of the courtroom, and interrogated the defense himself. Hood ruled that the trial would move forward. Court will resume Thursday.

— Lois Carlisle, Assistant News Editor