Head-to-Head: Should out-of-state students care about local politics?

Two viewpoints writers debate whether out-of-state students should prioritize South Carolina over hometown politics.

Yes: Kathleen Schipano

After the onslaught of Facebook pictures of stickers, badgering tweets from friends in Student Government and text reminders from your parents or overly political uncle, you know you were supposed to vote on Tuesday.

While you may have slept, tried to catch up on homework or done literally nothing productive, the poll numbers from Tuesday show that there were a great deal of us who didn’t vote.

Many didn’t care about the election, and many more didn’t even take the time to register to vote.

As college students, we use our traveling circumstances and being away from where we technically call “home” as an excuse to not voice our opinions at the polls.

And why should an out-of-state student care about South Carolina politics?

Because you live here. For the majority of the year you are in this state, working and living and abiding by the results of elections that you are eligible to take part in but choose not to.

Even if you don’t identify as a South Carolinian, you must identify as someone who has definite opinions about the way policies should be executed and upheld. Those opinions aren’t exclusive to your home state.

If you believe in the Democratic agenda, why would you not vote for a candidate that you felt upheld those values to gain political standing, no matter what the state? The same goes for Republicans, Independents and Libertarians.

Essentially, even if you believe a squid overlord should rule us all in an annual reenactment of the Boston Tea Party on the White House lawn, you should vote for the politician who you feel would bring that horrible idea to that horrible reality. It doesn’t matter where you are. Vote.

Even if you don’t care about South Carolina, you can help someone advance politically, which could mean a favorable candidate for you in a future presidential election.

While I try my best to not sound like a generic Facebook post in any aspect of my life, I will stand by the sentiment your Aunt Sue posted: If you didn’t vote, you can’t complain. If you think South Carolina is a-- backward, and you are uncomfortable with the largely conservative political climate, don’t open your mouth about it unless you made an attempt to change it.

You have a right to vote to change the things around you, and for four years — and maybe more — South Carolina politics directly affect you. Beyond that, South Carolina politics will be a part of the national stage for your entire life. If you disagree with them or think they're great, voice that opinion while you have the chance.

No: Ben Turner

When the founding fathers gathered in Philadelphia in 1787 to write the U.S. Constitution, they did not forsee thousands of young people away from their homes deciding where to vote. In those days, only white men who owned property could vote and students did not fall into this category.

In addition, the idea of the House of Representatives, and indeed, election of governors, depended on the notion of a permanent home. James Madison and the Federalists counted on an informed electorate to choose leaders that would advocate local interests in the congress. Decisions at the state level came from the legislatures full of locally-minded men who were prominent members of their communities.

Add to that the voting age was not lowered to 18 until 1971 and the issue of where students should vote is a new one. Should they vote where they go to school or vote where they live?

There are drawbacks to voting absentee. The process is often confusing — I’ve tripped over hurdles myself trying to get a ballot. However, there are advantages.

One upside is that you can potentially have a greater impact with your vote. South Carolina is a one-party state in which there were no competitive statewide elections this year. My home state of Indiana is traditionally more competitive, and so I feel like my vote counts more there because the outcome is not pre-determined.

Also, one should take into consideration their knowledge of local politics and issues. If you’ve grown up in a community all your life, you are more likely to know the issues that affect that community. College students are sometimes disconnected from the towns they live in, as they spend the majority of their time on campus or traveling to campus.

Next fall, the mayor of my hometown will run for re-election. He promised to end traffic gridlock and promote business by changing a maddening maze of downtown one-way streets that I hate back to normal. I’m planning on voting for him, in part because of this issue. I couldn’t tell you the mayor of Columbia’s name and I don’t drive in downtown Columbia.

Finally, there is the moral question. Our representative system depends on leaders advocating the best interests of their constituents. If people that are not invested in the community’s long-term survival are allowed to shape the representation of the community, then are the other people in the community being represented?

Voting absentee allows you to vote for the leaders and representatives of your home community, makes you a more informed voter and can increase the political power of your vote. Next election, buy some stamps, lick an envelope and vote.