Semester rewind: Fall 2014

Now that this semester has come and go, it's time to step back and take a look at the event highlights. Time flies when you're having fun, so here's a rundown of what you may or may not have missed.

Aidy Bryant

(Sept. 4) — SNL  player and stand-up comedienne Aidy Bryant  packed the Russell House Ballroom  for her performance hosted by Carolina Productions  this September. After making her way on stage in a pizza costume, Bryant  cracked jokes about everything from her childhood start in theater to chain text messages.

“If I’m not at SNL,  I really leave SNL  there and I don’t try and think of ideas,” Bryant  said. “I just let it go and do other stuff and go look at a tree or see a mountain and remember that there is life outside of those four walls.”

Bill Rosemann  

(Sept. 10) — Carolina Productions brought the former creative director of Marvel comics took the stage at Russell House this September. Students packed the ballroom to hear Rosemann reflect on his experiences in the comics industry, what it means to be your own hero, and more.

“I think we’ve always pushed the envelope,” Rosemann said. “We’ve always done controversial things.”

Music Farm opening  

(Sept. 16) — Music Farm Columbia opened its doors for the first time this September, officially making it the city’s number one destination for concertgoers. On the opening night, Music Farm hosted electronica artist and USC alumnus Ernest Greene, better known by his stage name Washed Out.

“I think Columbia is a mid-size market missing a mid-size venue,” said John Griffin, general manager of Tin Roof and Music Farm Columbia. “It’s in a good niche for what it is.”

Piper Kerman  

(Sept. 24) — Author of “Orange is the New Black,” the book that inspired the award winning TV show of the same name, Piper Kerman made her way to USC in late September, courtesy of Carolina Productions. As she shared her experiences from her year in prison to her involvement with the television series, Kerman’s goal is to ultimately spread awareness about the prisoners that are currently living their life behind bars in a broken system.

“The world of prisons and jails is very intentionally hidden away from the eyes of the public, and I think that is a mistake,” Kerman said. “I think it's important for folks to think about those millions of Americans living behind bars.”

Ajax in Iraq  

(Oct. 3 to 11) — This October, Theatre South Carolina presented the war drama “Ajax in Iraq” at Longstreet Theatre. While following two parallel characters, an Iraqi solider A.J. and a Trojan solider Ajax, the play created commentary on all aspects of war, with everything from gender politics to PTSD.

“I think, to a large degree, college viewers are desensitized to it. It’s been in the ether so much that it’s hard to take it all in and give it all equal measure,” said Peter Duffy, director of the play. “And so, I hope the play will make these people a little more real and will make the situation a little bit more tangible.”

Jam Room

(Oct. 11) — Jam Room Music Festival took over Main Street for the third year in a row. Complete with 12 bands performing on two stages, including indie rock group Superchunk, people came from near and far to enjoy the free live music.

“We want to get people excited about the music scene again,” said Linda Toro, festival coordinator. “We want to let bands know that there’s an audience here and that Columbia’s a cool place to stop and do a show.”

Icona Pop

(Oct. 15) — The Swedish duo Icona Pop rocked Colonial Life Arena as Carolina Productions headliner for the fall semester. With their hit song “I Love It” that got Icona Pop’s name on the radar, students packed the arena to see band members Aino Jawo and Carolina Hjelt perform.

“Our crowd is so weird because it can be a baby that’s two years old to a grandpa that listens to our music, and that’s kind of really cool,” said Aino Jawo.

Cirque du Soleil  

(Nov. 5 to 9) — The internationally beloved contemporary circus Cirque du Soleil traveled to Columbia for a five-day residency at Colonial Life Arena this November.

“Whether you like theater, whether you like athleticism or acrobatics, whether you come for the amazing costumes or whether you come for the acting... you know there’s definitely something there for everyone,” said Vanessa Napoli, “Varekai” publicist.