Winter preview: Movies

Movies

Though this holiday season is short on Christmas movies — we miss you, “The Santa Clause”  — there are still plenty of movie events to entertain audiences over the break, and make them forget that they’re not watching “Four Christmases.” Here are five of this holiday season’s biggest films:

1. Exodus: Gods and Kings, Dec.12

Ridley Scott (director of “Alien” and “Gladiator”) tries his hand at the biblical epic with “Exodus,” starring Christian Bale as Moses. The big budget movie promises plenty of action and an operatic scope, if nothing else.

2. Inherent Vice, Dec. 12

It has been over 10 years since Paul Thomas Anderson (“There Will Be Blood,” “The Master”) last directed a comedy. This makes his new movie, “Inherent Vice,” something of a rare treat. The movie stars Joaquin Phoenix in a befuddled detective role, and should be a disarming viewing experience.

3.The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Dec.17

The Hobbit trilogy concludes with “The Battle of the Five Armies,” which pays off the plot threads from the previous two Hobbit movies in a melee of elves, dwarves, orcs and humans. If you haven’t seen the previous two Hobbit installments, make sure to before you see this very direct sequel.

4. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, Dec. 19

Ben Stiller’s hijinx-prone museum security guard Larry saves the day one last time in “Secret of the Tomb.” The globetrotting movie has Larry trying to save the magic of the Tablet of Ahkmenrah, the object making the museum come to life, but what’s more important is Robin Williams' role as Teddy Roosevelt  — this is one of his last movie roles.

5. American Sniper, Dec. 25

Clint Eastwood’s latest film stars Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle, the sniper with the greatest number of kills in American history. This true story aims to delve into the psychology of Cooper’s character, which should give the actor plenty of opportunity to show off his chops.