In Our Opinion: CP fails to deliver in spring semester

The Carolina Productions calendars were released today and there were some big differences between this semester and the last. This semester features a much more modern design and took away the "coming soon" section, and this may be because there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to.

The spring semester, that in the past has showcased names like Andy Grammer, R.J. Mitte and Craig Robinson now features a winner from Ru Paul's Drag Race, one of the founders of The Onion and the newest member of the Saturday Night Live cast. 

While these visitors are compelling to a few niche groups, this calendar left many students asking the question: "Is that it?"

That's it. The spring concert, a traditional CP event has now been replaced with four "Meal Time Music Series" that will take place on the Russell House Patio four times this semester. The performers have not been announced. 

We're left finding the most impressive thing about the calendar to be the graphic design.

The event that CP spent the most of its funds on was the Campus Moviefest, a student film competition. 

Where's the punch? Where's the headliner? Where's the big production? CP representatives cite that certain plans could not come to fruition due to unresponsive agents and such, but they are still trying to add to this semesters lineup.

We're grateful for the work that CP does, and we have been very impressed with their work in the past. They've brought performers like Seth Meyers and Corey Smith previously, but are not living up to themselves this semester.

We feel that since every student pays for CP's budget, we do feel like we should be able to count on them to book activities that appeal to a wide range of demographics.

We hope this calendar isn't all that CP has to offer this semester and that they are in talks to bring that headliner to USC this spring. Until then, CP says they are always open to student suggestions, so students should feel free to voice what they feel would be a worthwhile endeavor for the organization.