In Brief: Jan. 28, 2015

Gov. Haley declares National School Choice Week

Around 500 people, mostly students, marched to the South Carolina Statehouse Tuesday to rally for National School Choice Week, according to the State.

The campaign was organized by various groups around the state and focused on advocating for more educational choices for families.

Haley declared Jan. 25 to Jan. 31 as National School Choice Week, adding that every child has different educational needs.

Those gathered at the State House steps heard speeches from Gov. Nikki Haley, students, teachers and parents on different school-choice options. Rally attendees said they're hoping for an expansion of the state’s private-school choice program.

­— Madeleine Collins, Assistant News Editor

$1.6 million jury verdict for lawyer against Sheriff Lott cut to $300,000

A Lexington County judge reduced last summer’s $1.6 million jury verdict against Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott to $300,000, The State reported.

The case is centered on a lawyer who claimed the Richland County Sheriff’s Department strip-searched her and threw her in jail on felony charges that were later dismissed.

Though Lott was not involved, he was named the defendant because he is responsible for the conduct of department deputies.

The judge wrote that the case didn’t cross technical legal lines that would allow the jury to award more than the legal cap of $300,000.

Lott said he was pleased with the reduction, but he still expects his lawyers to appeal.

— Madeleine Collins, Assistant News Editor

Corner Pantry in Irmo robbed

A Lexington man has been accused of several crimes at a Corner Pantry in Irmo, WIS reports.

Zachary Varney is charged with forcing the store’s doors open, displaying a .22-caliber handgun, robbing a Corner Pantry and raping a female employee.

Police Chief Brian Buck said the crimes were horrific and showed that Varney is a dangerous person.

In January 2014, Varney was charged with two counts of third-degree burglary after a group break-in. He served time in county jail, but was released in August under the Youthful Offender Act.

The act was designed to give young, first time offenders a second chance. However, Buck said that the law did not work in the way it was meant to.