Crime Blotter: Jan. 16 – Jan. 30

Crime Blotter: January 26 – January 30

1 — Harassment/Threats/Intimidation

1 — Motor Vehicle Theft

2 — Disorderly Conduct

2 — Fake/Other ID use 

3 — All other offenses

3 — Assault/Simple Assault

3 — Larceny of Moped

3 — Larceny/All other

4 — Vandalism/Destruction of property

5 — Larceny/Theft from building

5 — Trespass

6 — Fraud-Credit Card/ATM

6 — Traffic/DUI

8 — Alcohol/Liquor violations

13 — Drugs/Narcotics violation 

— Last Wednesday, an officer observed a white Ford Escape SUV making an abrupt turn onto Barnwell Street. The vehicle traveled left of the center line and failed to stay in its lane. The officer stopped the car near the intersection of Pendleton and Barnwell streets. The officer asked the man driving the car for his license and registration and observed the odor of alcohol coming from the vehicle. The driver’s speech was “slow, slurred, and thick.” Another officer arrived on scene and was administered a series of standardized field sobriety tests. The driver displayed signs of impairment on each test. He was arrested and transported to the City of Columbia Police Department. The driver rejected the submit a breathalyzer test, however, resulting in the suspension of his license. He was transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center and his vehicle was impounded and towed.

— On Monday Jan. 26, a man came into the police station in regards to an impersonation. The man indicated that for the past month and a half, unknown people had been creating fake social media accounts that used his likeness and photographs. The man had not given his permission to these users. The social media accounts had been used to communicate with others — spreading messages that were described as “untrue, harmful and disparaging” about the man. The man was advised to let his family and friends know that his accounts had been hacked and Sergeant Mitchell was notified of the situation.

— Officers were called to McBryde C early on the morning of Jan. 23 responding to a call from an RM they had received. According to the RM, one of his residents was “almost jumped” by five or six subjects. When police arrived on the scene, the victim had fled, but they located him on Bull Street, near Calcott. According to the victim, he entered McBryde and was confronted by white male subjects who were sitting on the stairs. The subjects asked him if he was “in a frat,” and he told them he was not in a Greek organization. After exchanging insults, the subjects backed him into his hallway where he frantically banged on his RM’s door. After the RM opened the door, the subjects fled the scene. 

Crime Blotters don’t include every incident from the last week, and suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Information could change as investigations continue.