Jonathan Kaufman, Lee Goble elected in runoffs

The candidates waited in anticipation Wednesday night to find out the winners of the runoff elections — they were eager to know if they won, but they were also just excited for the wait to be over.

“Last week I was confident, and it was a little too close for comfort,” vice presidential candidate Lee Goble said before the announcement. “I’m not going to say that I’m confident right now. I am just really looking forward to knowing.”

Jonathan Holt, along with Brian Samples and Goble, arrived early to the Leadership and Service Center to wait patiently for the results to be announced, but at 7:27 p.m., Jonathan Kaufman was nowhere to be found.

Whispered rumors of Kaufman’s whereabouts could be heard throughout the room up until he arrived at 7:29 p.m., seconds before Student Government Elections Commissioner Danielle Padgett made the announcement.

Padgett started the results at 7:30 p.m. on the dot, announcing the winners of two other runoff elections: the senators for the College of Pharmacy, and the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management.

The crowd sighed, and Padgett apologized for getting them excited by saying "runoff," or as she called it, "the R-word."

Kaufman defeated Holt for student body president with 54.32 percent of the vote.

Kaufman immediately called his parents to tell them about the results while he hugged his supporters.

“I am humbled from the opportunity, honored, grateful," he said, "moved beyond any real words."

Lee Goble defeated Brian Samples with 65.48 percent of the votes in the vice presidential runoff election.

"He beat me by a fair margin," Samples said to his campaign team upon hearing the results.

And he immediately congratulated Goble on his victory and his campaign.

“I’m very glad it’s over," Goble said. "I’m relieved that it’s over and I’m so excited I cannot put it into words."

Both Goble and Kaufman said they're looking forward to working with one another and eager to get started.

Their first step?

“We get to work," Kaufman said "We’re the student voice for the administration — that’s our job. That’s why we’re elected.”

The voting goal for the initial election was 5,000 votes, but the voter turnout was just over 3,000. The turnout for the runoff election was 7,365 votes. 

“The turnout came out great and that’s exactly what we needed," Samples said. "The student body has officially spoken and they did it with passion.”

Student Body Vice President Donnie Iorio will begin transitioning Goble, Kaufman and Ian Shannon — who was elected in last week's elections — into their positions Thursday.

“It was a great election, great fight, great battle," Student Body President Lindsay Richardson said. "I’m excited for the new team, and we’re ready to start the transition and ready to pass off the baton.”