Column: Stewart leaves legacy at Daily Show

Jon Stewart’s announcement that he will leave "The Daily Show" by the end of the year has left many across the nation feeling verklempt.

Verklempt, as Stewart could tell you, means emotional in Yiddish.  Judaism and Jewish culture was just one of the subjects Stewart tackled over the years. But he became best known for sharp political and media commentary despite having no background in politics or news.

It was these moments that won Stewart the most praise, but also the most criticism. Media personalities attacked Stewart for wanting to be a political player or media critic but retreating into the cloak of comedy whenever challenged.

For my part, I see Stewart fitting into the grand tradition of political satire that has existed in America for hundreds of years. Stewart is the modern day Mark Twain — a man who excels in his field (writing for Twain, comedy for Stewart) but also serves as the people’s champion by mocking the elites for their buffoonery. However, it remains to be seen if Stewart’s comedy will stand the test of time like Twain’s literature does.

Over the last 16 years, Stewart has taken on CNN, CNBC, FOX News and other personalities and outlets. He’s also proven to be good at informing his audience while entertaining, leading some to suggest he join the news media he so often mocks. I would rather see Stewart continue in comedy than be stifled by a news desk.

Others see Stewart following in the footsteps of Al Franken — going from comedy to political office. Stewart, despite his Washington D.C. rally and nuanced policy discussions with heads of state and congressman, has maintained that he does not want to be a partisan member of the political process. Also, while I have no doubt he could win office in New York or New Jersey, I wonder if Stewart would be happy and productive dealing with bureaucratic nonsense all day long.

In the short term, Stewart will probably become a director if his recent film "Rosewater" is any indication. Beyond the question of his future, however, is the question of who will take over "The Daily Show" anchor chair.

Few of our generation remember the first anchor Craig Kilborn. Kilborn came to the show from "SportsCenter" and left to take the 12:30 timeslot on CBS.

While Kilborn left almost no legacy, Stewart has built a late-night franchise on par with "The Tonight Show" if not in viewers in social consciousness. His shoes will be hard to fill, as the show has come to be both a source of news and comedy.

Will there be another great satirist ready to step into the breach and continue doing Stewart’s work? Hopefully, otherwise we will lose a valuable commodity in American media.