Silver Level recognition in Student Action Awards for USC

Every semester Student Action Awards are given out to a number of universities who demonstrate leadership and progress towards creating a greener campus within their student body and this year USC has nabbed a Silver Level award.

Awards are distributed based on the amount of physical and technological contributions that student organizations, individuals and classes have made toward a greener campus. 

The end goal of these actions is to create more awareness of environmental issues while focusing on what students can actively do in their communities to help create a better future, globally. 

There are four different levels that the Student Action Awards give to the universities: Green, Silver, Gold and Platinum. 

The Silver Level, which was awarded to USC, is given to schools that have a focus on student leaders and group activism that work towards specific goals on campus to create a more eco-friendly campus. 

Of the over 100 universities and colleges that participated in the activation program headed by students, USC was one of 60 universities to receive Silver Level recognition. 

The awards are given based on a system that focuses on progress, momentum and impact. University student leaders work “to deliver real world impact through green, caring and healthy actions," according to the Student Action Awards website. 

These green and considerate actions that many Gamecocks have partaken in include turning off the lights, taking the stairs, reusing water bottles, unplugging electronics, carpooling and shortening showers.