In our opinion: Everybody has a Zayn

If you didn't look at the Internet or the news, or go outside yesterday, we have some bad news. One Direction is going two directions.

Zayn Malik's announcement that he is leaving the band has left many fans devastated. There's also been ridicule of the agonized reactions — especially for those coming from college students. The mockery is twofold: people's reactions shouldn't be this dramatic and college-aged fans should be more mature than to be upset over the breakup of a boy band.

For those haters out there, consider if your favorite band lost your favorite musician or broke up. Or your favorite character left your favorite TV show. Or your favorite sports team traded your favorite player. All of us have an obsession and are unnaturally attached to people we don't really know. All of us have a Zayn.

The dismissive reaction to hurt fans also reflects the unfortunately gendered way we look at people's interests. Screaming teenage girls (who yesterday were sobbing teenage girls) are the assumed fan base of One Direction,but that doesn't give people license to act superior. If you're a guy who thinks it's just female overreaction, imagine if Steve Spurrier quit tomorrow. We're not sure there wouldn't be bawling guys at USC.

Most of all, however, the online backlash has been about how childish is it to be upset over a band breakup. Being a fan of a boy band has a stigma attached, and how ridiculous is that? While entertainment for kids like "Pokémon" and "Adventure Time" have become acceptable entertainment for young adults, some still look down at others' choices. Far from being an environment that mocks others' passions, college is the perfect place for people to explore their interests and connect with others who share them.

We feel everybody on this campus has an interest others might find ridiculous, and when that interest is put down, they feel embarrassed, ashamed or hurt. Everybody also has things they probably care a little too much about.

So when you go to make a joke about One Direction's distraught fans, remember: everybody has a Zayn.