Column: Believing in God and "religion" not the same thing

Sources describe religion several different ways, but I define it as a set of beliefs and customs — and occasionally a moral code.

There are too many religions to count: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism … the list just goes on and on.

Does having a title for your faith really bring you closer to whatever supernatural being you believe in? I’m a firm believer that it does not. Titling your faith gives people another reason to judge you.

I believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Automatically, people associate that with being Christian, and I guess I am. But then again I’m not.

Before college, I went to church every Sunday and loved it. I’m also from the South so it’s almost expected. I love Jesus, but hate religion.

I don’t like the title Christian. I’m not ashamed that I love God, but I’m ashamed of the negative connotation of the word. People make assumptions that I hate homosexuals just because the Bible calls it a sin or that anyone who indulges too much is going to Hell.

Those are only two examples of the many examples that come with the practice of Christianity. What so-called “Christians” started reacting this way to make people outside their circle a reflection of God?

People make mistakes every day, all the time. No one is perfect whatsoever. So then why do some people try to be?

No one has a right to tell another human being what they do with their life is wrong or unjust. There are ideas of a perfect follower in a religion, but no human has ever been able to meet that goal. Some people put up that perfect front to hide their inner turmoil, and those are the people that make religion nasty.

Religion is a man-made invention that embodies too many subcategories. The moment someone becomes associated with a faith is like sticking a label to their back forever. Because someone is religious doesn't mean they agree with every other person in their faith, and because someone is an atheist doesn’t mean they dislike all religious people.

I love Jesus, but hate religion. It’s caused too many problems and has turned away people from what really matters.