Female acts left hanging deserve more recognition

Over the last few years, the music scene has blown up with a number of female-fronted acts. Katy Perry and Rihanna, are household names, while many lesser known, but equally talented, female fronted groups have been left in the dust.  

In an industry that often bends more towards accessibility rather than experimentation, it's amazing to see that women are getting equally represented on the more experimental side of pop music. These three female-fronted acts are certainly an example of this recent sensation in the music scene.

FKA twigs: You may know her as that girl who’s dating Robert Pattinson, but she’s so much more than that. Tahliah Barnett, or Formerly Known As twigs, is a vocal artist based of out of the United Kingdom. At the tail end of August, Barnett released her full length LP. Barnett has done previous background with artists such as Beyoncé and Jessie J and released her own EP “EP 2” in 2013. FKA twigs blends R&B infused ethereal instrumentation with airy, delicate, sometimes falsetto vocals. While her discography doesn’t have too many “upbeat bangers,” FKA twigs is a refreshing face in the realm of more experimental pop. Tracks to listen to are “Papi Pacify,” “Hours” and “Lights On.”

tUnE-yArDs: Particularly unique for their bold percussive sound, tUnE-yArDs mainly consists of Merrill Garbus, a multi-instrumentalist. She loops drumbeats, vocals and ukulele on the spot, many which are upbeat, confident and aggressive at times. The vocals are enough of a surprise but when paired with the zealous instrumentation give off an eccentric and infectious sound. Tracks to listen to: “Gangsta,” “Find a New Way,” “Water Fountain.”

Sylvan Esso: A happy medium between FKA twigs and tUnE-yArDs, Sylvan Esso is a collaborative project between vocalist Amelia Meath and producer Nick Sanborn. Sylvan Esso is heavily electronic, this electropop duo pairs slow, soothing melodies with echoey, looping effects. The juxtaposition of Sanborn’s rougher, distinct beats to Meath’s almost angelic vocals make for such a synchronized combination. Tracks to listen to: “H.S.K.T,” “Coffee” and “Play It Right.”