ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Sarratt blanks Eagles in big Gamecock win

Returning home after taking two out of three games last weekend at No. 14/16 Kentucky,  the South Carolina softball team took care of business at Beckham Field on Tuesday night and defeated Georgia Southern 8-0.

With the victory, the Gamecocks (32-17, 6-12 SEC) have now won 11 consecutive nonconference games.

Georgia Southern now falls to 12-33 on the year.

Led by a dominant pitching performance by senior Julie Sarratt, the Gamecocks shut down Georgia Southern and cruised to victory as the South Carolina bats produced at the plate, too.

South Carolina wasted no time and jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the two innings.

With the way Sarratt pitched, the Gamecocks didn’t need any more scoring than that, but the Gamecocks tacked on more, anyway.

Seven different Gamecocks recorded a hit and senior center fielder Kristen Struett along with junior third baseman Jordan Bizzell led the Gamecocks with two RBIs apiece.

Meanwhile, Sarratt shut out the Eagles as she allowed only three hits over six innings of work.

Thanks to the stellar outing, the Gaffney, South Carolina native dropped her ERA down to 3.89 on the season.

South Carolina junior left fielder Alaynie Page also continued her good play as she batted 2-3 on the day, hitting a double and scoring two runs while drawing a walk as well.

With only six games remaining in the regular season, the Gamecocks will resume SEC play this upcoming weekend as they travel to face Ole Miss.

The Rebels enter the weekend series with a 5-13 conference record.  

Ole Miss has gone 0-6 in its last two SEC series, having struggled against Georgia and LSU.

Although South Carolina started off conference play poorly, the Gamecocks have won four of their last six games against SEC opponents.

South Carolina won all three of its games against Ole Miss in 2014.