Roger Sawyer named interim dean of College of Arts and Sciences

Roger Sawyer of USC’s biology department has been named the new interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Sawyer is currently a biology professor, the senior associate dean for graduate education and has served as the executive dean of the College of Arts and Sciences since 2011.

“I am honored to be appointed as the interim dean of such a great college,” Sawyer said in a university announcement. “My goal is to work diligently with the faculty, the university administration and the search committee to hire our next leader as soon as possible.”

Mary Anne Fitzpatrick, the previous dean, was named the vice president for systems planning for USC and its satellite campuses in February. She said she was excited to see Sawyer filling her shoes as the interim dean. 

“His leadership during this transition will assure that the College of Arts and Sciences will continue on its upward trajectory,” Fitzpatrick said in the university announcement.

Sawyer received his bachelors of arts degree in zoology from the University of Maine, his Ph.D. in zoology from the University of Massachusetts and his postdoctoral degree in genetics from the University of California-Davis. 

Sawyer has been a member of the USC professorial staff since 1975, when he joined as an assistant professor. He has also served as the chair of the biological sciences department as well as the interim dean of the College of Science and Mathematics.

He was honored as a Carolina Distinguished Professor, a Carolina Trustee Professor and received the Mortar Board “Excellence in Teaching” Award. He is the author of over 100 research publications.

Sawyer will be serving in his position until a new dean is found to take over his interim spot; however, he was certain the university is in “an excellent position to attract a strong leader.”