"The Album About Nothing" is truly something else

Don’t let this album’s title mislead you — Wale is a highly creative artist that often goes overlooked. “The Album About Nothing” is sure to catch attention with creative lyrics, powerful beats and an impressive list of featured artists. 

Wale returns to his roots and stays true to his original sound with this album. His newest album, a spinoff of his 2008 “The Mixtape About Nothing,” deals with facing criticism and being an outsider. It is his most personal album and examines real life issues.

In his first track, “The Intro About Nothing,” Wale does some serious soul-searching and relates to listeners on personal issues. The most powerful lyric, “Still my hunger’s like a f---in’ model at a buffet” illuminates on how his cravings previously compelled him to seek the approval of others instead of his own. He uses choir voices, piano and violin sounds to make this the most wide-ranging track on the album.

Each song has deeper background and meaning than you might initially realize. “The White Shoes” relates confidence with having material possessions. The white shoes symbolize positivity and that people’s judgments cannot define who you are. “The Glass Egg” works through issues occurring after success. He uses his lyrical genius to rap about friendship and loyalty with catchy beats. If you’re in need of some stress relief, “The Middle Finger” is worth listening to, as it is almost reminiscent of Big Sean’s “I Don’t F--- With You.”

"The Album About Nothing" is not a solo effort, though. Wale collaborated with others to make the album come to life. J. Cole is featured on “The Pessimist,” which deals with what is hurting today’s black community statistics. The lyric, “America’s dream and nightmare in the same being” gives a nod to the corruption in today’s pop culture, and the two work greatly together in mastering soft rap. “The Need to Know” features SZA and references Musiq Soulchild’s lyrics from “Just Friends.” SZA takes over the song with her captivating voice and catchy chorus.

The album ends with a trio of love songs. “The Bloom” features AG3 and discusses the first feelings of positive romance. “The Matrimony” uses pop radio balladry with Usher as its feature. Wale skillfully raps about failing past relationships and how he wants to become better. Jeremih sings the sensual chorus of “The Body,” which is an interesting comparison between a woman’s physique and an automobile, making for one of the best songs on the album. Wale uses collaborations in an intellectual way, blending with each voice charmingly.

Wale masters this highly personal album by using real life scenarios, catchy lyrics and upbeat rhythms. His soft sound makes him unique from other rappers. “The Album About Nothing” is far from impersonal.