Letter to the Editor: Haley and Scott Deserve Recognition for Their Achievements

U.S. Rep. Tim Scott speaks Monday to reporters at the South Carolina Statehouse after being introduced by Governor Nikki Haley to fill the vacant U.S. Senate seat vacated by the departing DeMint, December 17, 2012. (Tim Dominick/The State/MCT)

Our lives are built around a series of choices. Those choices make us or break us. When we lose our footing or gain new ground that should be recorded in our mental and physical backstories. The cultural concatenation of our world should be displayed to the highest extent at all times.

Especially, when our state of South Carolina has the first Asian-American and first female governor in our state's history. Then, we have the first black senator to serve in both chambers of Congress right here in our home state. Those people are Gov. Nikki Haley and U.S. Senator Tim Scott. Haley is a shining example of what our Sunday School teachers taught us to be. Scott is a role model for those on the edge and in the depths of our land who long to become what is in their most far-fetched dreams. Like any good citizen who wants to be in elected office, they signed up to captivate the voters, govern based on their promises and lead their constituents to better days. 

Yet, everything we do in this life is voluntary. So, each action has a result or consequence. We decided to elect them to office and now we need to honor their cultural successes whether we like it or not. We should respect it and hold it in great admiration. Building statues for both of these individuals in the state of South Carolina or our nation's capital will hark a new tune for cultural relations in this country. Our generous gesture will only bring a community together to be more sensible of our old days. 

Being able to acknowledge and admit where we may have strayed away in the past will only show our distinct integrity for this land named after Amerigo. Concealing and covering up our scar will only obfuscate our collective history that is so aesthetically appealing. Hence, I will ask that the South Carolina General Assembly and the United States Congress work together to make this happen. We should do this in the name of God, our country and our families — in that order.