In our opinon: Above all, orientation a time for learning

The University of South Carolina mascot, Cocky, gets the crowd pumped up before the Gamecocks take on Missouri at William-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina, Saturday, September 22, 2012. South Carolina defeated Missouri, 31-10. (C. Aluka Berry/The State/MCT)

Most students leave Columbia for the hottest months of the year, but for many incoming freshmen, the summer's New Student Orientation is the first time they've ever set foot on campus.

Upperclassmen generally remember their orientation for the corny ice breakers they played and not much else. At such a large school with so many orientation sessions, chances are slim that you'll meet your future best friend at a one-day event. It's even less likely that you'll come to any life changing revelations from the brief time you get to speak one-on-one with your orientation leader.

But that's OK. For new students (especially out-of-staters) this is a time of tremendous change and upheaval. Passing along important information to new students in a manner that is relatively low key is perfectly fine. What's important is that they remember the message, not necessarily the way in which it was relayed.

For all of the students picking up this article from a newsstand during your orientation, play the silly games and try to meet new people. But above all, pay attention to the information being presented to you; this will be your home for the next few years, and it'll be a lot more fun (and a lot less stressful) if you know your way around the house.