In our opinion: Counter-protests at racist rally show understanding is stronger than intolerance

The message spread by the Ku Klux Klan and the National Socialist Movement at this weekend's pro-confederate flag rally was hateful, atrocious and grotesque. The counter protesters, however, demonstrated the true beauty of free speech: that individuals can exercise their rights to spread understanding even when surrounded by ignorance.

The people of South Carolina showed the world that we're ready for progress when they showed up en masse to oppose the message of the white supremacists (most of whom came from out of state). The voice of South Carolina drowned out "white power" chants with the chants "all lives matter" and that of the Ghostbusters — "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" — referencing the Klan's traditional white cloaks.

The conspicuous absence of the Confederate flag at the rally wasn't the only symbolism of the change sweeping through South Carolina: the Klan forgot to bring megaphones or any other amplification equipment, which was fine since they had nothing productive to say anyway. Karma also made an appearance as a Klansman lost control of his vehicle while attempting to speed away from a group that he had just insulted and hit a light pole.

Friday's rally should be a model for how to respond when hate raises its ugly head. Civilized people should fight back not by preventing those confused people from expressing themselves with threats of violence, but by peacefully showing that truth and understanding will always conquer intolerance.