Letter from the Editor

In 2006, the editors of The Gamecock made a decision which bucked 100 years of tradition — they changed the paper’s name.

They called it The Daily Gamecock because it was just that: a daily newspaper.

When we made the decision this year that we would no longer produce a print newspaper on Fridays, we had a similar choice to make. Should we go back to being The Gamecock? Should we call ourselves something else entirely?

In other words, can you have a daily newspaper that doesnt put the news in print form every day?

As it turns out, you can. The fact is, newspapers are no longer news "papers. A staggering amount of content from respected media sites no longer make it into a print form of any kind.

Some of the biggest media organization in the news business today — BuzzFeed, The Huffington Post, Politico — decline to use the physical page entirely.

What makes an organization “daily” is that it lives by its name — by putting out content every day.

And, thanks to our website — dailygamecock.com — we can continue to provide content that can reach you wherever you are, every day of the school week.

We will continue to print our regular papers on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The Weekender will be published on Thursdays instead of Fridays.

There are some stories that, even now, just feel better on the page.

This change shows were committed to improving our online product in its myriad forms — whether its on Twitter, Facebook, The Daily Gamecock mobile app or any other medium.

Its our way of saying that, wherever you get your news, well find a way to meet you there.