In Our Opinion: Be safe with mopeds

As local startup Scootaway continues to expand, safety remains one of the largest issues for the company. While they debate how exactly to make customers safer drivers, we would like to offer some simple advice to students: respect other people’s property and don’t be stupid. Yes, it sounds like something you learned in kindergarten. But the lesson holds true today.

On the most basic level, not drinking or engaging in otherwise dangerous behavior while driving a moped can keep you safe by avoiding accidents. It is possible to suffer great physical harm, or even death, in a moped crash — even at low speeds. So following basic safety instructions could stave off injury.

Financially, it is also sound advice. While the company’s insurance would ordinarily cover accidents, violating the terms of service means you could end up paying for anything that happens. The service is cheap; there’s no need to waste money paying for a wreck. Furthermore, it is technically illegal, and avoiding fines is good for your wallet.

But setting aside all of that, exercising common sense keeps other people safe and happy. Poor or drunk driving can not only hurt or kill the driver, but anyone else on the road. Additionally, the mopeds belong to a start-up company providing a valuable service to students around campus. Frequent incidents could drive up fees or lead to an end of the service in the area.

Let’s show the community and local businesses our best side as a student body. If not out of respect for others, for your own safety and financial self-interest.