Recent upgrades lend history, scenic parking to Williams-Brice

When the lights go down Saturday, all eyes will be on the football game against Kentucky. However, spectators and students should pause while those lights are still on to admire some of the new upgrades at Williams-Brice Stadium for the 2015-2016 season.

Named for and courtesy of the Springs-Brooks family of Myrtle Beach, the plaza area outside of the stadium underwent a $14.5 million beautification process over the summer. The asphalt parking lots surrounding the stadium have been replaced with the more aesthetically pleasing Springs-Brooks Plaza. The plaza includes features such as sidewalks, brick walkways, trees, shrubs, flowers, lights and poles with banners, new iron fences and gates, planters, sod and benches.

Jack Springs was associated with the Gamecocks most of his life, from selling concessions at football games in the 1940s to operating a Columbia tailoring business that provided the football team’s traveling blazers in the 1960s. A display for the traveling blazers in memory of Springs and his wife, Sara, is located in the southwest corner outside of the stadium, making their legacy permanent.

Tami Springs-Brooks, daughter of the late Springs, told Gamecocks Online that she hopes the new plaza will better promote the university’s history.

“Anytime that we can hold on to certain things and show the young people that this is the way it used to be, I think we should do that,” Springs-Brooks said. “I just think the history of the university is important. It's what brought us to where we are today. It's how we got here."

In addition to the traveling blazers display, a statue of South Carolina Heisman winner George Rogers will be unveiled at 4 p.m. before Saturday night’s game at 7:30 p.m.

One of the new features of the plaza is the Bignon Game Day Center that includes eight ticket windows, a game day parking office and a 4,000 square foot merchandise store.

Another big change this football season is that the Bluff Road Bojangles — a game day staple for over 25 years — has moved from its location next to Carolina Walk down one block next to Stadium Suites. The university has reclaimed the land after the fried chicken restaurant opened there in 1991.

In a March interview with The State, franchise owner Henry Atkins said the move is important for the future of the business, customers and tailgaters.

“This is the perfect opportunity to establish a new location, ensuring Bojangles remains a fixture in this area for many years to come,” Atkins said.