Nine fraternities formally cleared of wrongdoing

On the eve of impeachment proceedings against University Fraternity Council Board President Tim Bryson, nine of the 13 USC Interfraternity Council (IFC) fraternities suspended from recruitment by the fraternity council board on Sept. 1 have been formally cleared of wrongdoing, according to a press release from the fraternity council Executive Board. 

“After meetings held on Saturday, September 5th, 2015, The University of South Carolina Fraternity Council cleared 9 of the 13 Interfraternity Council (IFC) fraternities of any allegations brought forth against them,” the press release read.

The cleared fraternities are: Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Alpha Order, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Kappa Sigma, Phi Sigma Kappa, Sigma Chi and Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Fraternity Council Vice President of Communications Camden Wiggins told the Daily Gamecock in an email on Sunday Sept. 20 that Phi Gamma Delta has also been cleared of any allegations.

“Under further review, the … organizations were found to have not committed any bylaw violations of the University of South Carolina Fraternity Council and were cooperative in their discussions to create better recruitment practices amongst our community,” the press release said.

The release also noted that the UFC “allowed every fraternity to continue recruitment practices five days after initial suspension.”

“These organizations were never fully suspended from activity at the University of South Carolina, as only their recruitment capabilities were paused as to allow further investigation, discussions, and meetings,” the press release states.

The press release stressed that the original actions were meant to serve as a protection of health and safety.

“Although some allegations were vague in nature, the University of South Carolina Fraternity Council wished to hold all organizations accountable for the health, safety, and well-being of the members of the respective organizations and potential new members,” the press release read. “In order to mitigate issues and allow safe practices to be discussed, the Fraternity Council reached the decision to pause recruitment practices…”

The fate of the remaining four fraternities involved in the initial suspension, and the nature of any charges against them, were not stated in the release. Those four fraternities are: Chi Psi, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Theta Chi.

Additionally, the news comes as the UFC operates with no clear leader. Bryson has temporarily stepped aside in accordance with the organization’s bylaws while under impeachment and Jonathan Withrow, who would normally take his place in the line of succession, has resigned his position.

The impeachment hearings against Bryson are set to begin Monday night.