In our opinion: NRA event shows weakness of college republicans

The National Rifle Association (NRA) is perhaps the most famous special group in America. This is largely because they have the odd distinction of being both deeply controversial and successful. The nigh-apocalyptic rhetoric of their executive vice president in recent years also adds to their notoriety.

Still, when invited to speak by the College Republicans — the largest political organization on campus — they couldn’t even fill the room.

Part of this is likely due to the nature of the NRA. While they claim to have 4.3 million very passionate supporters, that’s less than 5 percent of the estimated number of gun owners in America. Some of their most vocal stances are out of line with 90 percent of gun owners.

But, as a prominent conservative organization, it is shocking that the College Republicans could get so few people to show up. In fact it almost seemed as if the College Democrats, who put out a press release on the event, cared more about it. It may be a sign of broader weaknesses for the College Republicans after a disappointing Carolina Clash relative to the College Libertarians and the College Democrats.

Perhaps this reflects broader trends in the national party. More Republicans now say they would support one of the three candidates that have never held elected office over the seven governors and five senators running for the Republican nomination. Nationwide, Republicans don’t seem to like Republicans much anymore. Perhaps the inability to get many Republicans to show up for an allied organization and the public breaks from the party mainstream at the Carolina Clash are inevitable in an increasingly fractured and disaffected part.

Still, it is particularly odd as a highly competitive primary looms for the Republicans. In comparison the state’s Democratic primary, at least without Joe Biden running, is not terribly competitive given Bernie Sanders’ weaknesses with the minorities and moderates who dominate the state party.

We hope they increase turnout at their events. There is no point in having organizations and speakers on campus if they present to half-empty rooms.